Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Vol 24 Apartment, Part 2

This is the lobby of my building. The entrance doors have this orca mural on them. There are large photographs of Vancouver on the lobby walls. Nice.

I’ve been in my apartment for a couple of weeks now and the roaches and I have come to an understanding- if I see them, I kill them. I stomp on them. They go crunch and die. Mostly I have little teeny tiny roaches but every few days I see a big one. Like the one in my purse, sitting on my wallet when I pulled it out. F@*k!!!!! And yet, I like my apartment. So far all I’ve bought is bedroom furniture and a washing machine. There are no dryers here. If you want one, you have to order it and then it can take months to arrive. Everyone line dry’s. Since I have no balcony I’m going to buy one of those folding tee pee drying rack thingies. They’re cheap here.
This is my bedroom. I decided to embrace the peach paint and go girlie, which not like me at all. But neither is a pink car and I did that too. I figure I should try new things here. I quite like my girlie bedroom. A couple of plants and some drapes and art and I’ll be set. Next purchases are a dining table and chairs (so I’ll have somewhere to sit other than the bed) and a fridge. Then I need a stove and sofa. Then I’ll throw a couple of rugs down and call it home.

This is my bathroom. This is really nice by Oman apartment standards. I’m not a big fan of it since this is where I see a cockroach almost daily. The building dude said he would spray again but so far, nope. Nothing gets done here when they say it will and they look at you like you’re crazy if you act put out when they don’t show up.

This is my kitchen. There is a little laundry room off to the right. The space on the left is for the fridge, the space on the right is for the stove. The sink isn’t really blue; the previous tenant just didn’t remove the protective plastic. Guess they didn’t use the kitchen much. The powder on the floor is roach killer that I have flung in haste and disgust. I have found a part-time house maid who will start next week after I buy cleaning supplies. She will come twice a week to clean and cook Indian food for me. She works for our practice manager, Katie, whose husband works for the embassy and she assures me she is both a good cook and a good cleaner. Yay!

Close up of the decorative tile border that encircles the room.

Sweet! Pink granite counters!

This is the view out my windows. They are building what I assume is another apartment building directly behind my building. It will eventually block my view of the mountains. The dudes working on the building start at dawn. So I wake up at dawn. And sleep fitfully until I get up. In another day or two they will have added another floor and will be able to look down into my apartment. They'll be able to watch me sleeping. Soooooo, I guess curtains are a priority. There is a really pretty embroidered flat sheet that came with my comforter set that I want to turn into curtains but I need to find someone I can borrow a sewing machine from. Or I could cut them, pin them and take them to a tailor to stitch the seams.

This is the living/dining room. I think it will be empty for a while. It's a long room. Way longer than this photo can show.

This is the entry way. It's huge! I guess I'll put a chair or bench or something in here at some point. For now it's where I get dressed as the construction guys can pretty much see into my bedroom and living/dinging room. The cuckoo clock looking thing is my doorbell. It sounds like a mutant bird chirping. My friend had to ring it 4 times the first time I heard it before I realized it was my doorbell!

Anyway, that concludes your tour of my home sweet home. Did I mention there are no closets? They don't do closets here; they use wardrobes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

is it totally random that you travelled to the Middle East, and ended up in an apartment with pictures of Orca whales and Vancouver in the lobby?

Does this mean something?

Brian

Toby said...

Hey Just a Roach Tip.....you see them in the bathroom most because they come up from the drain in the tub or sink. Leaving the drain closed helps but they can always just make there way out of the overfill.

Boric acid either in powder or liquid is the safest solution. If kept dry the powder is effective for months with little or no toxic issues for humans or pets.

Also just to dis-spell the myth about roaches and disease, they are clean despite their nasty appearance.

Enjoy the new friends and all the cute guys.
Toby