Friday, October 12, 2007

Vol 49 Day 2 Istanbul

Vol 49 Istanbul Day 2

Whoops! I forgot to mention that yes, I was in Morocco for the second half of my holiday. Anyway….

I slept in a bit on Ferhan’s comfy sofa-bed then he fed me a similar breakfast to the day before. So yummy. We chatted about books, music and movies. In addition to a great book collection he has a giant movie collection. He asked me what kind of movies I like then selected “Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny”. Oh my God, how have I not seen this movie before? I laughed sooooo hard. Of course I was already familiar with Tenacious D but I had never even heard of this movie. So freakin’ funny. Dude!

Then I walked up to Taksim Square to try to find a light jacket to purchase.

You remember how I packed like I was going camping when I moved to Oman? 3 pairs of shoes and no handbags? Both suitcases 20 pounds under-weight? Well I did it again. I arrived in Turkey with a small carry on whose space was partially taken up with an empty fold duffel bag in anticipation of buying a rug. I did not bring a jacket. I only brought 2 pairs of shoes. Both sandals. One flat with no support or traction and one with a wedge heal, which is what I wore for pretty much the whole trip. Both are comfy, but not ideal. I had intended to bring a pair of spanking new Adidas for walking but they remained at home, beside my front door, with a small pile of socks on top. Perhaps I need someone to check my suitcase for appropriateness the next time I travel.

So I needed a jacket. I wondered down the main shopping street in the Taksim Square/Beyoglu area. Very busy and much like a shopping street anywhere. Lots of clothing shops, a Starbucks, a McDonalds, music stores, bakeries, cafes, and street vendors.


Here is a really lame video of Beyoglu. A cable car runs up the center of it.

I stopped for lunch at one of the many tray cafes. Steam tables are lined up at the entrance and you make your selections cafeteria style. Not too expensive and boy are they good.

I could not find a jacket I was willing to part with my money for. The thing is, I was on a limited budget and I just couldn’t see spending money on a jacket that I would never wear in Oman when I could use that same money towards a Turkish carpet. I was trying to find a simple, cheap sweatshirt but all I could find was over-priced fancy sweatshirts and ones that were made for teeney-tiny young girls. So even though it was trying to rain a bit, I did not buy a jacket. I just walked around, taking photos and videos of the neighborhood. In the black wedge sandals. And every now and again my shoe would hit a cobblestone just right and my ankle would twist. Delightful. So I started looking for shoes as well. But as in Oman, I could not find a ladies shoe in my size and when it came to buying bulky, ugly men’s shoes in my size, again I did not want to spend money on shoes that I would never wear when I returned to Oman. Especially when I had a brand new pair of Adidas sitting at my door at home.

So I returned to Ferhan’s with neither a jacket nor shoes. He had made a really nice potato, carrot and pea stew accompanied by yogurt and pickles. Yum. I love it when other people cook for me.

Ferhan had earlier invited me to an Istanbul CouchSurfer’s party, and of course, I had accepted so off we went. We started at a bar where we met about 30 other CSers. Most were local, but some were guests, like me. 30 like-minded travelers. It was awesome. I met such cool people that night. Like Chuck and Andy from the US, who were traveling with Andy’s wife and young son. And 3 fun-loving women- Huma, Marion and Funda.

We chatted and drank and after a while we walked to a night club. Now I have been to my share of night clubs. But this was something! It was upstairs in an old building and the club itself wasn’t all slick like back home. It was a bit run down looking. Like people had been dancing on that floor and leaning on those walls for years and years, which of course they had.

Ferhan ordered me another Raki, (I’m afraid I developed a taste for Raki on this trip), and then another. From the moment we arrived until the moment we left. I was dancing. At first I was a bit shy. Hung onto my drink so I would have something to do with my hands. Andy and Chuck (Andy’s wife had taken their son home) were bouncing a bit too. The 3 ladies- Funda, Marion and Huma started dancing with me and I looked around and realized that Andy, Chuck and I were the only ones dancing with any sort of shyness or self-consciousness. Everyone else in the bar was joyful and free. So unlike a US or Canadian bar where most people’s prime concern is whether they look good or not. I’m telling you right now Turkish people don’t care if they look good when they are dancing and as a consequence they look great!

So I threw all of my usual shyness regarding dancing out the window. I danced my ass off. I danced like I have never danced before. I danced with everyone and with no one. I was sweaty. I was laughing. I was joyful. My arms were in the air, my hips were swaying. My feet were bouncing and jumping. I could not stop smiling. I wished for my sister. I wished for my friends. I wanted everyone to come to Turkey with me to go dancing. In case I have not been emphatic enough- I have never had so much fun dancing in my life. I could not have been happier. And I think it stuck. I think I have let go of my body self consciousness when I dance forever. Whew! No growing pains for that one. Just Bliss.

I took some photos and video but the lighting was bad, of course- it’s a bar! I made this video so you could sort of get the idea. The music was quite different and wonderful. More drum driven than bass like in the US. I have no idea what the song in the 3d video I shot was about but everyone in the bar knew it and was singing along. The energy level, which was already high, shot through the roof for that one.

Ferhan, wasn’t feeling well, he was getting a cold, but he likes a good party so we stayed until the end. Thank you Ferhan! We walked home with him steadying my somewhat inebriated self the whole way so that I wouldn’t break my ankle on the cobblestones in my inappropriate wedge sandals.

I will try not to overuse this word as I write this journal of my travels but I have to say it. I had an awesome day.

Once again I slept like a baby.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well once again I had fun on my 2nd day in Istanbul. For Christmas in your stocking I am going to give you lessons on packing for a trip . You need it daughter. Most people take too much. Food looked wonderful. Hope you show us a pic of these famous shoes soon. Patiently waiting for day 3. When do we get to see the turkish rug? Love you lots. Mom

Anonymous said...

Too funny Susan! I love Jack Black and put "Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny" on my ziplist. Watched it one night when Chloé was at her Dad's and laughed my ass off!The Taksim/Beyoglu looks fasinating. Although the video is a little lame it really does illustrate the hustle and bustle of a city centre and how cool to find another treasure around every corner and down every cobblestone street. It's fun to see the local cafes and how each culture is so different. Our brother Russ, one of his coworkers and his son and I went out for dinner tonight at "The Naam". Remember the vegatarian super casual ( read hippie) 24 hour joint in Kitsilano? Super yummy seasame fries with miso gravey, thai noddles, indian subji, and coconut curry stir frys enjoyed by all.

I must say I got a little teary eyed reading about your night club experience. I longed to be in Istanbul dancing with you Susan. It really is a wonderfull feeling to just let go and express yourself through music and movement. I had a similar experince in Montreal one year at a Gap Head of Store conference. Just letting loose and dancing with anyone and no one and loving it. Then a song came on in french that the locals went wild for and the whole dance floor went wild. You could actually feel the floor bouncing. Of course they were all singing along "en francais" and I was caught up in the crazy vibe. You are right. It can only be discribed at total bliss.

Loving you with every beat, Michele