Monday, May 12, 2008

Vol 77 Michele Day 9

All right all you whiners- here's the long awaited post for day 3 of our Egypt trip. I have had non-stop couchsurfing guests so I've been busy being a good host. The last 3 have gone back to their student lives in Singapore so I'm back to writing at night instead of dining in cafes with travelers.

I have forgotten to tell you how Egypt IS. It's noisy, it's dirty, it's exciting, it's..... it's..... it's amazing!

You know I'm a sucker for old stuff. Well Egypt is full of old stuff. It's the Cradle of Civilization. And though time has taken it's tole, it's incredible how much history is left standing.

Our third day in Egypt Michele and I went back to the West Bank, this time to explore some of the temples. Reggae, the CouchSurfer who worked at the hostel that we had dinner with the night before arranged for a taxi to take us around the sights for a super cheap price. Something like $5 US for the day. I am only sharing our best photos of the day and still there are a ton. Happy to report that many of these photos are Michele's. Her camera (and her great eye) did her proud on this day.

First up was the temple complex of Medinat Habu.

Starts off tame enough but we quickly realized it's huge. It goes on and on.

Gate near the entrance.

Detail of pillar near the gate near the entrance.

Statue of Sekhmet near the pillar near the gate near the entrance........

Detail of wall near the....... never mind.

Black granite offering table. The channel at the top is for blood to run....

This is the first pylon of the memorial temple of Ramses III.

Detail of the pylon showing Ramses III smiting his enemies. He's holding a handful of heads.

More wall detail.

The south colonnade of the First Court.

Statue in the north colonnade of the First Court.

Ceiling detail passing from First to Second Court.

Second Court walls.

Second Court columns.

Second Court wall.

Passing from Second Court to Hypostyle Hall.

More wall detail. Amazing that the paint is still there!

More wall detail.

The Great Hypostyle Hall is not in very good shape but the 52 rooms off of it are.

Sweet light moment in one of those rooms.

Temple guard.

Wall with rooms.

After Madinat Habu we headed to the village of Dayr al Madinat or the Worker's Village.

It's behind the modern village.

It's a well planned and neatly constructed village of mud and stone where the men responsible for cutting and decorating the tombs of Egypt's New Kingdom pharaohs lived with their families.

Of course Puddles came along with us.

While in the village we also toured 3 of the tombs open to the public. These tombs were for the more important of the artists responsible for decorating the pharaohs tombs.

Entrance to the Tomb of Sennedjem. We were not able to take photos inside these tombs as they are just too tiny and there is always a guard right there, watching.

I did however find these 2 photos on the internet. It is amazing that these tombs are in such good shape after thousands of years.

I didn't bother Googleing the other 2 tombs we saw. It's late, I'm tired.

At the top left of this photo you can see the mud brick enclosure walls of a Ptolemaic Temple, which is where we ended up when we walked through the village.


Ceiling detail of the temple with thousands of stars.

Love this shot.

Love this one even more.

Wall detail.

More wall detail.

Detail of detail.

Next stop was a look at an alabaster shop. All cabs drivers will try to take you to a shop, where they receive a commission if you buy. Our driver, hired by Reggae asked if we'd like to stop, we said sure. This super-friendly guy is demonstrating how alabaster is cut by hand to make a vase. We went in to get an education on alabaster but we did not buy anything. It's best to buy on your own- the prices are lower when you aren't paying someones commission.

Some of the tourist tat for sale in the shop.

The alabaster vases. They glow when light is shone through them. I discovered I don't like alabaster so it was easy for me not to buy.



From there we went to the Temple of Hatshepsut, which Michele called "Hot Chicken Soup". She cracks me up.

This temple is carved into and out of the mountain face. The approach is spectacular.

What kind of tourists would we be if we didn't get other tourists to take our photo? We are wearing matching shirts. I brought extra long-sleeved, function over fashion shirts to share with Michele because I knew she was packing all pretty things, thinking that we were going to Dubai. She and I both wore those same pants everyday we were in Egypt. In my hand you can see that damn hat which I was actually forced to wear on the later half of this day as I had a wicked sunburn on my nose and forehead from my previous hatless days. Stupid useful hat. Michele was sweetly unsmug. The weather was strange. If I was in the sun I was fine, but as soon as I moved out of the sun I was cold. Everyone else seemed fine, perhaps I'm too acclimated to Oman heat.





I'm too tired to comment on these photos. What am I going to say? It's a wall. A cow. It's old. Blah, blah, blah.




View of the Temple Of Seti I from Hatsheput temple.


Roman graffiti scratched into the temple walls.

This guard asked Michele to take his photo. Then asked for baksheesh. Oh brother.

Spare parts.

And now, a sad story. Michele had Puddles in her pocket this day while we toured the various monuments. Before we entered Hatshepsut's Temple, we had to walk past a bunch of booths selling tourist crap. We hadn't bought anything yet so we shopped ever so briefly at these booths. I bought her a carved scarab paper weight and that was about it. We continued on our way and wandered around the temple for quite a while.

As we were leaving the temple complex, just getting into our waiting taxi, having just walked past all those tourist crap booths again, she realized Puddles was no longer in her pocket. She remembered him being there as we exited the temple gates but he was definitely missing now.

I can't begin to tell you how upset she was. She walked up and down the whole area, asking all the booth salesmen if they'd seen him. But no luck. he was gone.

I took this photo in the taxi as we were leaving. That's Michele in the backseat, trying desparately not to cry. Chloe, her daughter, had entrusted Puddles to Michele and she felt she had betrayed that trust. She consoled herself with the theory that he fell out of her pocket and some Egyptian child picked him up and has given him a good home. Perhaps a child who otherwise could not have afforded a sweet little stuffie like Puddles.

And now a happy story. As we were leaving the temple, ready to head back to the East Bank, Reggae, the CouchSurfer who worked at the hostel and had fed us the previous night, called and invited us for a ride on his friends felucca on the Nile. Do I refuse invitations? Of course we said yes!

A felucca is a small sail boat and sailing the Nile in one is one of the things my guide book says everyone must do.

A Brazilian CouchSurfer staying at the hostel joined us. That's Reggae in the middle.

I love this photo of the captain of the boat. There were 6 of us- the captain, his deckhand, Reggae, the Brazilian CouchSurfer whose name I've forgotten, Michele and I.

The deckhand, Moustafa.

Camels on the riverbank.

Here's a bummer of a photo moment. Michele was taking this damn near perfect photo, which I have effectively ruined by being in it because I was taking.....

....this no where near as good photo. Poop.



It was soooooo pretty on the water. To be honest I had not been too gung ho on the whole felucca thing when I had read about it in the guide book. It just seemed boring and I was worried I would be cold. I was so wrong. It was relaxing and social and gorgeous. They made us hibiscus tea and Reggae sang to us.

He also flirted with Michele.


And with the boat! He was a really funny guy and so hospitable.

My smiley-faced sister!

Lowering the sail.

Michele's perfect, cheesey sunset-on-the-Nile shot.

I found this guy in her photos. Hmmmm, I wonder why she took this photo? Could it be she thought he was a teensey bit handsome? We did a little shopping on the way home but Michele can't dicker worth beans so we didn't buy anything. She sucked so bad at it in fact that I actually forbid her to speak inside the shops. She had to pretend to be mute. More about this in the next post.

And I'll admit it- I missed Puddles at bedtime. It was strange not having him there. He had been such a part of our days since Michele had arrived in Oman. Michele was still sad about losing him.



The day's video.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't get over how large the buildings are. It boggles my mind how they managed to build such huge places with so little to work with. The detail must take absolutely ages to do and the paintings are so beautiful. So you don't like alabaster. I do. I am sure I would have had to buy something. I especially was impressed with the temple built into the side of the mountain. How long would that take. What fun. Sailing on the nile. Sure looks like you had a good time. Camels along the banks are just an every day event. Great sunset Michele. Good pictures. I had another wonderful day enjoying Egypt. Love you lots. Mom

Anonymous said...

Yahhh, the new post is up. I have been checking every day for it. Day 3 in Epypt was another amazing day! I was just fascinated with the hieroglyphics etched so deeply into the walls at the Temple of Ramses III that you can see in the photo and a detail later. The ages have darkened the cutwork which highlights the effect even more. Every monument always had a huge sculpture of the pharaoh who built it. The pharaohs would give props to their children by having them carved in a minature style which was usually placed by the pharoahs feet.

Like the Omani, the Muslim woman do not like to be photographed. But they are still typical tourists that love to take photos of the sights with them in it like the gaggle of girls in amoungst the columns. I was also fascinated with the ceiling painting of the birds with their long outstretched wings and beautiful colors. The guard in the Great Hypostyle Hall was VERY attentive and I stood watch while Susan got up on a ledge for a better angle. She was madly clicking away when he finally caught sight of her and shouted "Madame! Madame! You must get down!". Susan gave her best innocent "oh, who me" impression. She was soooo busted but it was soooo worth it. We were struck with one of our giggle fits which was typical of our trip. Two sisters having too too much fun together. The tombs at the Workers Village were the most beautifull, most detailed and best preserved we had seen so far. Thanks Susan for finding those pictures on the internet. The stone cutters, masons, sculpturs, and painters worked for nine straight days and on the tenth - the day of rest- they decorated their own tombs. The workers were considered "holders of secrets" and therefore subject to live in a village surrounded by walls. Within the walls was one central avenue and a few alleyways resulting in a continuous living arrangement. Imagine traveling from point A to point B in the town by walking THROUGH your neighbours home. At this point in the trip I had developed my own interputation of how to pronounce the many difficult Egyptian words we encountered. I even made up my own English words. I was always taking my own pictures of things "out of place" which I called my "juxtapose" collection. The photo of the aqua coffee cup set into the ancient mud brick ruin is a good example of this style. I can not tell you how many ways I said that word and it was always a sure fire way to crack up Susan. During our stop at the alabaster shop you can hear the fellow in the video say "no photos" and my reply of "that's right. no photos". By this time I had learned many of Susans sneaky sneak technigues and got his whole blurb on film by casually holding my camera in front of me. If he had caught on I am SURE he would have insisted on Baksheesh.

"Hot Chicken Soup" aka "Hatshepsut" temple was truely magnificent. Hatshepsut is named for one for Egypts most powerful female pharoahs. Her name means "foremost of nobel ladies" and she reigned for 22 years around 1450 BC. Hatshepsuts architect Senmut brillantly exploited the dramatic backdrop of the ochre-colored cliffs and built a revolutionary style of building which featured perfect symmetry and harmony. It even predated the Parthonon by over 1000 years and was called "Djeser-djeseru" which means "more splendid than splendid". I have GOTTA agree!

I get a little sad everytime I see the last picture I took of Puddles in his little clay boat. I walked far past the shops and all the way back to the gates to even talk to the policemen about my lose. They were the ones who suggested if someone did find it they would not think twice about keeping it and would think of it as a blessing to innocently find such a treasure. The reason I was wearing sunglasses in the taxi WAS to hide my tears. It really rocked me and Susan was very kind and gentle as she consoled me. We had originally planned to meet Reggae in town for him to take us shopping in the souks. It was a wonderful surprise to be invited on the felucca ride he had arranged for Maria the Brazilian couchsurfer. My tears quickly turned to smiles and laughter as we set out towards Banana Island south of Luxor. This was a side of Luxor we had not seen yet. Clean, quiet, and calm it really could not have been more peaceful or more pretty. Floating down the Nile River with everyday life just drifting by. I agree Susan, it was a wonderful social afternoon with a great bunch of people. Got to love those couchsurfers :) One of the best ways to end the day was to experience a glorious sunset over the Nile. Love the moment, with the palm trees and sails etched in the sky, captured! The second best way to end my day was discovered by Susan as she reviewed my photo discs. While she was upstairs in a shop looking at a hundred carpets I (the mute girl) was left to fend for myself as I got some fresh air. I have been busted taking a picture of "Monnay" who I admit I would call a "hottie" or my daughter would call a "yummy".
He put Reggaes flirting to shame and I tried my best to communicate without words. Hee Hee. More on that later when Susan spills about the whole "forbiding me to speak in the souks" thing!

Love you Susan and I must confess I hope you have no couchsurfers on the upcoming calander as I can not wait for the next post :)

Love Michele

Oman Susan said...

Holy crap, Michele! Your comment is longer than my post! Now I feel slightly guilty- you filled in all the details and history I left out.

You rock, Sis!

Anonymous said...

I love this blog. Thank you for all the great photo's!