Friday, February 23, 2007

Vol 13 Grande Opening

We had our grande opening at the office last week. Big wigs from the Omani government and the American ambassador were there and reps from the newspapers. I wrote the press release and it was published in the Arabic and English newspapers.


This photo I took of the Minister of Health cutting the ribbon was used in the Arabic newspaper, too. So I’m a published author and photographer now. If I had known it was going to be used I would have used a fill-in flash. Oh well.


Staff photo. From left- Ahmed, our Public Relations Officer. Anwar, one of the main directors (ie investors), both from Oman. Firas, my boss, from Syria, Iran and Ohio. Val, the hygienist who got me the job, from Bainbridge Island. Eman, our front desk slave, from Oman. Angela, the office manager from Texas. Yours truly, and Petra, a dental assistant from Germany who works one day a week so I don’t have to work 6 days a week.


Firas with the American ambassador and his assistant.


One of the waiting areas in the office.



Kadeejah and Eman- both total sweeties. Kahdeejah is the assistant manager of the mall the clinic is in and she also owns a clothing store. She doesn’t always wear the abaya. On this day she felt it was more festive to be colorful. Eman has a degree in translating and she’s really funny. She’s starting to get the hang of Eaglesoft, the dental software we run. She was recruited from the Muscat private hospital.


In addition to being our office manager, Angela is the president of the American Women’s Group and has a background in dental hygiene.


Anwar with the new office art, on loan from a local artist.


I may come home with one of her paintings.


Dareen, the initial front desk slave and Kahdeejah.

Why do I keep calling the receptionists front desk slaves? Because I just found out that Eman makes ½ of the salary that I make and she works a ten hour day 6 days a week. It’s just normal for expats to be paid more than locals. I feel weird about it, like I am contributing to discrimination.



Eman took this picture of me.

No comments: