Thursday, February 8, 2007

Vol 7 Car Shopping

Day off today. The weekend is Thursday and Friday here with Friday being the Holy Day. Devout Muslims pray 5 times a day and the Mosques broadcast prayers through loudspeakers. The times are determined by the sun so it’s different everyday. The first one happens about 5:30am, the last is about 7:30pm and in my neighborhood I can hear 3 different Mosques blasting away. I like it. It’s quite melodic. I use them as a reminder to be mindful, grateful and to remind myself that happiness is always available to me if I choose it. Not what the Muslims intend them to be used for I think, but it works for me. I have not had an opportunity to talk Islam with an Omani yet but I look forward to it. According to my guidebook they are happy to discuss with you with no intention of converting you.

Firas and I went car shopping and I confess I caved. Looks like I’m getting a new car. We did look at used cars first but I learned a little something about used cars here in Oman. They either have a ton of miles on them and a too high asking price, or they are almost brand new with a too high asking price. Oh, we did find a couple of beaters but they were just too scary. Any car over 5 years old has at least 250,000 miles already and we saw many 2 year old cars with 200,000 miles. They all love to drive to Dubai and Abu Dahbi in the UAE, (United Arab Emirates), and Salalah, (the largish city at the other end of Oman). And they drive them hard. The drivers are all crazy here, popping over curbs and speeding like I can’t believe. Even Eric regularly goes 90-100mph. And they’re driving in 110 degree weather for a few months each year. They wanted as much for a decent used car as a cheap new car. So that’s what I’m getting: a cheap new car. It’s a Daihatsu. Made in Japan by a company affiliated with Toyota. They look small and scary from the outside but they are actually quite roomy and solid feeling. They have good resale value here too so I should be ok when I sell it in a year. For the hell of it I chose pink. Yes, pink. Why the hell not? I would never buy a pink car in the US but here, why not?

No internet to post these yet. I sit in my bedroom or the dining room at night and write these. I have 5 waiting to post now. I listen to music from the MASSIVE mp3 collection my friend/ex, Lane, loaded onto my laptop. Thanks Lane! And thanks Noel, for the laptop, it’s working great! Haven’t tried the web cam yet, I haven’t seen you guys online yet…. Firas told me today there is a Second Cup, (Canadian Starbucks knock-off), with free wireless if you buy a drink. Need a car to get to it. Need a car to get pretty much anywhere. It may become my favorite hangout. I’ve heard the most beautiful Starbucks ever is here so that may be a candidate for hang-out as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Susan, my sweet! We miss you so. Bring that little car home for me and I will give you 42 fat dollars for it. Really!Me want one.
Loves, Mia