Sunday, June 10, 2007

Vol 27 Gonu Update

Alrighty then, found an internet cafe open. Internet still not working in my apartment. Something about the IP address. Glad I gave them my money!

Also not working in my apartment, or anywhere in Muscat, is water. Day 5 no water. I did manage to flush my toilet last night, (thank God), by bringing home one of those water cooler jugs full of non-potable water. My apartment smells ALOT better now.

I have a water cooler in my kitchen and I had a full container when the hurricane hit. I still have about 1/2 left so I'd say I'm conserving well. I wash my hair with two coffee cups worth of water and use a wash cloth to bathe. I will sooooo enjoy that first shower when they restore the water. Not sure when that will be. Could be tomorrow, could be 10 days. There are conflicting reports.

My sister sent me a link to someone else's photos of the damage. You can check it out: by clicking here.

The photos there are of the Qurum area. One of the hardest hit. Commercial and residential and the highway goes right through it. Or it used to. Those photos that look like a waterfall are where the highway has fallen. By the time we went there to check it out they had barricaded it so I was not able to get photos.

Also in that area is that fantastic Toyota dealership, (Vol 8). The 3d and 4th pages of photos from the above link are of the cars in their storage yard. They were all picked up and swept away. They all got caught up and formed a dam. This was part of why the flooding in this area was so bad. The water rose to 2o feet, stayed there for about 1/2 hour and then the water rushed. Most of the water had gathered in the commercial area under the highway by the round-a-bout photos I showed you. There are several mini-malls and strip malls in this area. Also a two story McDonald's. The McDonald's had water to the roof. Wish someone had a photo of that. Groceries from the large grocery store in that area, (the only source of Boca Burgers and Ben & Jerry's), were strewn all over the place.

The thing to remember in all of these photos is that everywhere there is dirt and gravel there used to be roads, sidewalks and landscaping. So weird to see it all stripped away.

I found this photo online. It shows the Starbucks on the beach mid storm, (after the road had already fallen).

Everything on Eman's 1st floor was ruined. But she and her husband spent the storm at her Mom's house. When I wrote the last blog we had not heard from her yet, nor had her husbands Mom, so we were kinda worried. Didn't mention it in the blog because I didn't want to jinx it. Turns out her Mom's whole house was destroyed and they all had to be airlifted out of there. For the first couple of days helicopters were constantly overhead, picking up people from the roofs of their houses. Eman was one of those. They are all fine, including their 18 month old. Her Mom's neighbors a few houses away were all lost. Husband, wife and three children. The death toll is around 61 now.


Here's another photo from the internet. That's a car in the middle.

I wasn't sure how I was going to be of service at first- there are so many Indian expats here and they do all the "menial labor" kind of jobs. They are getting thing cleaned up quickly as best they can with no water. I was driving down the highway yesterday and they had closed 2 of the 3 lanes going my direction and about 150 Indian men were sweeping all the dust (used to be mud) off the road. The fallen trees and limbs are almost all picked up. The fire dept is all men here and I still have not made contact with any of the ambulance services here. They are all private, attached to the individual hospitals and clinics. Our office has a water tank on the roof so we have been open the last two days while other offices have not. We've been seeing what feels like every toothache in the city. So I am helping in the way that I can. Working long hours.

I just got a message on my cell phone, (in Arabic, had to have one of the cafe guys translate it), saying that when the water is restored it will not be potable. For cleaning only. Dare I hope? Will I be able to shower in the morning?

Thanks for all the warm wishes, I will give Eman a huge hug when I see her from me and all who love me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I would say that your big OE just got a lot more exciting eh? Those photos are amazing. It almost feels like you should be adding a tag line of "Susan Serada, reporting for CNN in Oman" or something. I hope everyone you know comes out ok and you get a shower soon!

cya
Russ

Anonymous said...

SO glad you are okay and safe... Love you lots, D

Anonymous said...

Oh Sues. I am so happy that Eman and family are alright. But I was so sorry to hear of the damage to her home. Give her a hug from us. We almost feel that we know some of these people because you have given us such wonderful descriptions and stories about them. What an experience you are going through. Thank God you are well and safe and that water is the only thing you have to worry about. Not that it is not important. It is. Hopefully that will be solved soon. You write such good and descriptive blogs. Keep up the good work. We love you lots and lots. God bless you mightly. Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that I am thinking about you and hoping that everything is well again soon. Love Auntie Sybil

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan,
Just at your mothers reading about the sad events that have taken place in Oman. How quickly things can change in our lives. I was so glad to hear you were OK and I hope your water will soon be restored. It was sad to hear lives have been lost and especially to read about the family near Eman's home. I hope the damage to her home will soon be repaired. Our prayers are with you and for that country. God Bless and keep you safe .Love Ruth G