Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Vol 28 Gonu Update 2

My water came back yesterday morning! That shower felt soooooo good. Many people are still without water so I am grateful to be able to bathe and flush and do some laundry. Our PRO, Ahmed, gave me some photos that he took and some he found on the internet. Thought I'd share some of them with you. The ones from the internet have annoying text across them- sorry.

A photo which shows the force of the water.

Huge waves, early in the storm.

This is all too common a site in the hardest hit neighborhoods. People are having to throw away everything. The streets are lined with furniture, appliances, dead cars and clothing.


There are stacks of cars everywhere. Imagine the force of the water to just scoop up all these cars and plot them down where ever.

Also everywhere are huge uprooted trees.

After the highway gave way there was a pretty waterfall for a day or so.

These gas trucks were in the wrong place when the highway gave way.

A firetruck and an army truck that were in the wrong place.......

I did say I wanted to see a photo of the McDonald's with the water to the roof......

The city is hard at work cleaning up the debris. So many people are without cars and homes. Everyone is being generous. Eman returned to work today. I'll tell her story when I have more details and the photos that she has taken.

I bought a fridge last week and now I am waiting for them to deliver it. It will be so nice to have food in my apartment. I'm going to buy a hot plate so I can cook while saving for a stove. Then I just need a trip to IKEA in Dubai for some cheap furniture, dishes and curtains.

I'll try to get up early tomorrow and get some more photos before going to work. Thanks for all of the support for my blog. I enjoy writing it; sharing my adventures. I think about all of you as I write it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That picture of McDonalds is UNBELIEVABLE. Hard to believe the water could be that deep in one place. Is it near the beach? Well Sues you went there for an adventure. Do you think you have had enough of one yet. Life is never boring is it? Dad agrees. Love you lots and lots. Mom & Dad

Oman Susan said...

No, Mom, it is nowhere near the ocean. And there is a large shopping mall right by it and a very large area of strip malls and one of my favorite restaurants. All toast.

Anonymous said...

WOW! those pictures told quite the tale. I am just still in shock. Keep on spreading the love. I baked a cake today and could not stop thinking about you. I always do when I bake, as we have had so much fun making cakes together. Thanks for the update. I look at the blog everyday hoping to hear more of how you are doing.
Lots of Love,
Dorothy

queen said...

SUSAN,
I miss you and love you! So glad you're okay. I love your blog too. It's like renting a movie for the night. I think you should be a writer or newscaster. Are you coming home in January?
Doreen